We went out for breakfast this morning and got talking about all the amazingness of 2014. What we learned, all that we did + saw, the good, the not so good and what we hope for in 2015. Pretty much we discovered that this year, the year of 2014, has by far been our most favorite yet for so many reasons. Here are our top 14 highlights of 2014: 1. Exactly one year ago, we were celebrating the end of 2013 in Mexico, with some of the best people. It was the perfect start to an incredible year.
2. One of the trips we have been dying to make since moving to Vancouver was to drive the Washington/Oregon coast. And this year we made it happen...sort of. We didn't have time do the entire Coast but we did get to see some of it, which has only made us more excited to make the entire journey someday. We started the trip with a baseball game in Seattle with some of our favorite people and then made our way down the coast stopping + exploring whenever our little hearts desired. It was the best. We finished the trip in Portland + it quickly became one of our favorite places. It really does have some of the best food + antique shopping. We loved it so much that a few weeks later we went back with our dear friends Sachin + Brittany. I have a feeling that this may be an annual trip.
3. We bought a vehicle!! After being carless for almost 6 years, we finally took the plunge + became adults. Betty White has been a great addition to the family.
5. This year we have seen our work in places that we never could have imagined. From blogs like Green Wedding Shoes + Ruffled featuring some of our favorite weddings, to getting two images featured on Junebugs Best of Destination Weddings, to winning a BC Wedding Award for Best Bride + Groom Portrait, and most recently seeing an image being chosen by Huffington Post as one of the Best 25 Wedding Photos of 2014. We don't do what we do for recognition but when you work so hard at something you love, not gonna lie, it does feel good.
6. Celebrating some big milestones with our family. Grandpa turned 90 in June + my parents celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary in September. Thankful we were able to make both trips back to the farm to celebrate with them! Family is our world + we love them so much.
7. Not only do we love our job + the couples we get to work with, but we also really love the entire wedding industry in Vancouver. Some of the best peeps on the planet + it's always such a joy for us to work with so many of them throughout the year. When we first moved to Vancouver one of our biggest goals was to connect with the industry and 6 years later some of our closest friends in this city we have met through the wedding world. That makes our hearts happy. A special shout out to the ladies at Filosophi Events who we had the priviliege working with 14 times this year!
8. Since Mike was in Highschool many moons ago, he has wanted to explore Iceland. And over a decade later, he finally had his chance! In June we packed our bags + headed to Iceland with Jeff + Cat to explore this mind blowing place for 10 days. Not only is this a highlight of our year but I'm sure it will be a highlight of our lives. It is a place we would travel to every year if we could.
9. Our friends will always be a highlight of our year. They have put up with our crazy schedule + absence during the summer. We truly do cherish the moments we get to spend with them. It's been fun watching their lives change before our eyes. Welcoming babies, moving cities, changing careers...we are extremely proud friends!
11. We haven't had much time this year to work on the business aspect of things. It seemed like all of our time was spent shooting, editing or traveling. But we were proud to finally finish our information booklets along side one of our designer friends Andrea! For all of our amazing couples getting married in 2015, you can expect one of these in your mailbox soon :) What else can you expect in 2015?! A brand spanking new website + blog. Excited to be teaming up with the lovely Alyssa Yuhas to get our online presence up to date!
12. Always a hightlight of our year...celebrating another year of marriage! This year we hit #9. What shall we do for the big one next year?!
13. 2014 also marked the most weddings we have ever shot in a year. In 52 weeks, we photographed 49 weddings. It was crazy but oh so fun! Our couples are seriously the best.
14. For years, we have often joked how amazing it would be to not only shoot a wedding in a far off land but to document someones travels. Well it really happened this year. We flew to SE Asia at the end of September to spend 10 days with a couple from Toronto who were traveling through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam and were eloping along the way. I can't even put into words how incredible this experience was for us. Lali + Ehsan quickly became friends + the experiences we had with them is something we will never forget.
Cheers to an incredible year. 2015, we are ready for you!
Keep an eye out for our favourite images of 2014 coming soon!